We can’t forget to satisfy our sweet tooth craving while camping. While you may not initially think of cake while camping, this yellow sheet cake with chocolate frosting could be your next favourite dessert on wheels.
Rather than grabbing something with extra additives from the store, I like to bring my own baked goods. While you can get real food baked from a quality bakery, it can be more expensive and adds another shopping trip when you’re busy preparing. This recipe allows you to control the ingredients and keep costs down.
I like to make this cake ahead of my trip. That way, I can cut a slice after dinner or whenever a sweet craving hits. This is also a great addition to a camping potluck. Ask everyone in your group to bake one thing in a large batch to share and voila!
Baking Tip: swap stevia for part of or all of the sugar to make this cake guilt-free.
Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or spray a 9” x 13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Slowly mix in milk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.