Cookies are an absolute MUST while camping. Whether you’re packing lunch for your day trip or need some snacks ready to go at the site, be sure to have some cookies on the menu. Most children have a cookie obsession and my son is certainly no exception. He adores these walnut chunk cookies and I just know you will too.
While everyone loves a classic chocolate chip cookie, I decided to amp it up a bit by adding walnuts. But don’t stop there! You can easily add nuts, seeds, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and whatever else your heart desires for extra nutrition. If you ask me, a hearty cookie is a happy cookie.
Baking Tip: bake and freeze these cookies ahead of time to avoid stress-baking the week of your camping trip. Grab the frozen bag of goodies when you go camping and you’re good to go. Plus, they help to keep your cooler cold!
Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and butter with granulated and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips, chopped chocolate and walnuts until thoroughly combined.
- Use a large cookie dough scoop to make 24 balls of dough. Place 6 balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet with 1-2 inches in between each ball. Flatten dough with the bottom of a glass.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!