Do you like a sweet treat for breakfast? While there is no doubt that a cinnamon bun or doughnut falls on the sweet side, scones and biscuits can definitely be on the slider. These orange cranberry scones are packed with fruity flavour and definitely fall on the savoury side. However, once topped with the delicious orange glaze, it satisfies the sweet to give you the best of both worlds!
Scones are very versatile. Make them for a good quick breakfast on the go or for an afternoon snack. Feel free to add more nuts and fruits of your choice to add a little bit of extra nutrition. Switch it up to suit your needs!
Baking Tip: change the fruity flavour based on what’s in season at your local farmer’s market for seasonal flavour and to reduce your environmental impact.
Orange Cranberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup for work surface
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp orange zest preferably organic
- 1 cup craisins
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Line a large, rimmed baking parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Mix two cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, orange extract, and orange zest. Whisk to combine.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Add in the craisins and stir until just mixed.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of flour onto a clean work surface. Transfer scone batter onto floured surface and lightly knead into a ball. Press the dough down into a ½” high rectangle (approximately 6” x 10”). Cut in half lengthwise, and then each half into 3 rectangles. Then, cut each rectangle diagonally to create triangle-shaped pieces.
- Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-2” between them. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F, then add the baking sheet to oven when ready. Bake the scones for 18-22 minutes, or until they are nicely golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, prepare the orange glaze by stirring the powdered sugar and orange juice together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.